Career and Publications
Before I became an independent practitioner in digital technologies, I was a computer scientist at the University of Westminster, where I did my PhD; Queen Mary, London, where I became a senior lecturer; and HP Labs in Palo Alto and Bristol, where I was a senior researcher.
In 2011 I was a visiting professor at ITU in Copenhagen, where I launched a project on crowd computer interaction. In 2005-2008, while at HP Labs, I was visiting professor at the University of Bath and worked on the Cityware project.
I was research director at the Pervasive Media Studio in 2011.
I was associate editor in chief at IEEE Pervasive Computing from its inception, with responsibility for the topic of Software.
Co-edited the International Journal of Security and Networks special issue on Secure Spontaneous Interaction (2009).
Co-editing the IEEE Pervasive Computing special issue on Labelling the World.
Co-edited the January-March 2009 special issue (vol. 8 no. 1) on Environmental Sustainability, the July-September 2007 (Vol. 6, No. 3) issue on Urban Computing, the April-June 2006 (Vol. 5, No. 2) issue on Pervasive Computing for Emerging Economies, and the July-September 2004 (Vol. 3, No. 3) issue on Building and Evaluating Ubiquitous System Software.
The IEEE Pervasive Computing editorial calendar is here.
- Co-organiser of the Crowd Computer Interaction workshop at CHI 2009.
- Co-organiser of the UbiPhysics workshop on designing for physically integrated interaction at Ubicomp 2005.
- Member of organising committee for the Workshop on What makes for good application-led research in ubiquitous computing? at Pervasive 2005.
- Co-chair of the committee for tech notes at Ubicomp 2003.
- Co-organiser of the Workshop on Supporting Spontaneous Interaction in Ubiquitous Computing Settings, held at UbiComp 2002.
- General chair of WMCSA 2002.
- Ubicomp 2009.
- Ubicomp 2008.
- Internet of Things 2008.
- PerSec 2006, the Third IEEE International Workshop on Pervasive Computing and Communication Security, at PerCom 2006.
- PerSec 2005, the Second IEEE International Workshop on Pervasive Computing and Communication Security, at PerCom 2005.
- Pervasive 2004.
- Less recently: UbiComp 2002, Pervasive 2002, MDM 2003 - 4th International Conference on Mobile Data Management and MobiSys 2003.
- Industrial keynote on City Machines at ICPS 2010, the 7th ACM International Conference on Pervasive Services.
- Panellist at Ubicomp 2009.
- Panellist at ICPS 2009.
- Keynote at CAPC 2008, the 2008 International Workshop on Context-Aware Pervasive Communities, at Pervasive 2008, Sydney, May 2008.
- Keynote at IWSSI 2007, the First International Workshop on Security for Spontaneous Interaction, at Ubicomp 2007, Innsbruck, September 2007.
- Keynote at the Workshop on Software Engineering Challenges for Ubiquitous Computing, June 2006.
- Session keynote at the 3rd UK-UbiNet Workshop: Designing, evaluating and using ubiquitous computing systems.
- Invited talk on Secure Spontaneous Interactions in Ubiquitous Computing at the Computing Science Department, University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, April 2004 - and similar invited talks at Trinity College Dublin and Bath University in February and March. Here is a pdf version, but it's somewhat garbled where I used PowerPoint animation.
- Invited talk "The next 700 Billion Smart Physical Objects" at SACSIS 2003 (Japanese only), Tokyo, May 2003.
- Location-aware sensing and Computing. Invited survey talk given at the Workshop on the Intersection of Geospatial Information and Information Technology, Computer Science and Telecommunications Board, October 2001.
- Keynote talk at MobiDE 2001, Santa Barbara, on May 20th 2001.
- Pervasive Computing 2001 at NIST on May 1st.
- The keynote talk at HUC2K
- A talk on CoolTown to the Engineering Department, University of Cambridge in September 2000
- Tim Kindberg, Nick Bryan-Kinns, Ranjit Makwana (1999). Supporting the Shared Care of Diabetic Patients, in Group99, Arizona, April 1999.
- Scott Mitchell, Hani Naguib, George Coulouris and Tim Kindberg (1999). A QoS Support Framework for Dynamically Reconfigurable Multimedia Applications, in Lea Kutvonen, Hartmut König and Martti Tienari (eds), Distributed Applications and Interoperable Systems II, pp 17-30. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston. Also available from Djinn project home page.
- Tim Kindberg (1998). Security for Network Places, Presented at the Distributed Systems Security Workshop, ECOOP98, Brussels, June 1998.
- Hani Naguib, Tim Kindberg, Scott Mitchell, and George Coulouris (1998). Modelling QoS Characteristics of Multimedia Applications, Proc. RTSS 98, the 13th IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium, Madrid, Spain, December. Also available from Djinn project home page.
- Scott Mitchell, Hani Naguib, George Coulouris and Tim Kindberg (1998). Dynamically Reconfiguring Multimedia Components: A Model-Based Approach. Proc. SIGOPS EW98, the Eighth ACM SIGOPS European Workshop, Sintra, Portugal, September 1998. Also available from Djinn project home page.
- T. Kindberg (1998). On uncertainty: a study of diabetic patient care. Available from Project Mushroom home page.
- T. Kindberg (1998). An open architecture for replicated shared objects. PerDiS workshop on workshop on distribution, persistence and Java. Lisbon, October 1997. Available from Project Mushroom home page.
- G. Coulouris, J. Dollimore, T. Kindberg and M. Roberts (1997). A security architecture for PerDiS in Java. PerDiS workshop on workshop on distribution, persistence and Java. Lisbon, October 1997.
- T. Kindberg, G. Coulouris, J. Dollimore and Jyrki Heikkinen (1996). Sharing objects over the Internet: the Mushroom approach. Proc. IEEE Global Internet 1996, London, Nov. 1996, pp. 67-71.
- T. Kindberg (1996). A stake in Cyberspace. Proc. 7th. ACM SIGOPS European Workshop, Connemara, Eire, Sept. 1996, pp. 83-88.
- T. Kindberg (1996). Mushroom: a framework for collaboration and interaction across the InternetProc. CSCW & the Web, 5th ERCIM workshop, Busbach, U., Kerr, D., and Sikkel, K. (eds), GMD, 1996, pp. 43-53.
- T. Kindberg (1995). A Sequencing Service for Group Communication (abstract). Proc. 14th annual ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, p.260, Aug. 1995.
- T. Kindberg (1995). A Sequencing Service for Group Communication, Tech. Report no. 698, Queen Mary & Westfield College Dept. of CS, 1995.
- G. Coulouris, J. Dollimore, T. Kindberg (1994). Distributed Systems - Concepts and Design, 2nd edition, Addison-Wesley, 1994.
- R. Achmatowicz and T. Kindberg (1994). Object Groups for Groupware Applications: Application Requirements and Design Issues, proc. European Research Seminar on Advances in Distributed Systems, pp. 269-274.
- T. Kindberg, A. Sahiner, Y. Paker (1994). Adaptive Parallelism under Equus, Proceedings Second International Workshop on Configurable Distributed Systems, IEEE, Carnegie-Mellon University, March 1994, pp.172-182.
- T. Kindberg (1992). Reconfiguring Client-server systems, Tech Report no. 630, Queen Mary & Westfield College Dept. of CS, 1992.
- T. Kindberg, A. Sahiner, Y. Paker (1992). Equus: an Environment for Reconfigurable Distributed Computations, Tech. Report no. 591, Queen Mary & Westfield College Dept. of CS, 1992.
- T. Kindberg (1990). Reconfiguring Distributed Computations, PhD thesis, University of Westminster, October 1990.
- T. Kindberg (1990). Making Waves: Computation Dynamics on a Processor Pool, Proceedings of the Microsystem Design Show Conference: New Parallel and Embedded Architectures, Wembley, Feb. 8th., 1990, pp. E/2/1 - E/2/15.
- Dick Pountain (1989). Equus: A Parallel Operating System, Byte, Sept. 1989, pp. 80IS-3 - 80IS-8.
- A.P. Sherman, T. Kindberg (1989). Horsebox, Parallelogram, no. 14, May 1989, pp. 18-19.
- A.V. Sahiner, T. Kindberg and Y. Paker (1988). A Distributed Architecture for Image Processing, Parallel Architectures and Computer Vision, I. Page, ed., Oxford Science Publications, Clarendon Press, 1988, pp. 187-189.
- T. Kindberg, A.V. Sahiner and Y. Paker (1987). Worm Programs, Distributed Operating Systems, Theory and Practice, Y. Paker, J-P. Banatre and M. Bozyigit, eds., NATO ASI Series F, vol. 28, 1987, pp. 335-379.
- T. Kindberg (1986). The Worm That Returns, The Guardian, Feb. 6th., 1986.