In 2011 I was a visiting professor at ITU in Copenhagen, where I launched a project on crowd computer interaction. In 2005-2008, while at HP Labs, I was visiting professor at the University of Bath and worked on the Cityware project.
I was research director at the Pervasive Media Studio in 2011.
Until recently I was associate editor in chief at IEEE Pervasive Computing from its inception, with responsibility for the topic of Software.
Co-edited the International Journal of Security and Networks special issue on Secure Spontaneous Interaction (2009).
Co-editing the IEEE Pervasive Computing special issue on Labelling the World.
Co-edited the January-March 2009 special issue (vol. 8 no. 1) on Environmental Sustainability, the July-September 2007 (Vol. 6, No. 3) issue on Urban Computing, the April-June 2006 (Vol. 5, No. 2) issue on Pervasive Computing for Emerging Economies, and the July-September 2004 (Vol. 3, No. 3) issue on Building and Evaluating Ubiquitous System Software.
The IEEE Pervasive Computing editorial calendar is here.
- Co-organiser of the Crowd Computer Interaction workshop at CHI 2009.
- Co-organiser of the UbiPhysics workshop on designing for physically integrated interaction at Ubicomp 2005.
- Member of organising committee for the Workshop on What makes for good application-led research in ubiquitous computing? at Pervasive 2005.
- Co-chair of the committee for tech notes at Ubicomp 2003.
- Co-organiser of the Workshop on Supporting Spontaneous Interaction in Ubiquitous Computing Settings, held at UbiComp 2002.
- General chair of WMCSA 2002.
- Ubicomp 2009.
- Ubicomp 2008.
- Internet of Things 2008.
- PerSec 2006, the Third IEEE International Workshop on Pervasive Computing and Communication Security, at PerCom 2006.
- PerSec 2005, the Second IEEE International Workshop on Pervasive Computing and Communication Security, at PerCom 2005.
- Pervasive 2004.
- Less recently: UbiComp 2002, Pervasive 2002, MDM 2003 - 4th International Conference on Mobile Data Management and MobiSys 2003.
- Industrial keynote on City Machines at ICPS 2010, the 7th ACM International Conference on Pervasive Services.
- Panellist at Ubicomp 2009.
- Panellist at ICPS 2009.
- Keynote at CAPC 2008, the 2008 International Workshop on Context-Aware Pervasive Communities, at Pervasive 2008, Sydney, May 2008.
- Keynote at IWSSI 2007, the First International Workshop on Security for Spontaneous Interaction, at Ubicomp 2007, Innsbruck, September 2007.
- Keynote at the Workshop on Software Engineering Challenges for Ubiquitous Computing, June 2006.
- Session keynote at the 3rd UK-UbiNet Workshop: Designing, evaluating and using ubiquitous computing systems.
- Invited talk on Secure Spontaneous Interactions in Ubiquitous Computing at the Computing Science Department, University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, April 2004 - and similar invited talks at Trinity College Dublin and Bath University in February and March. Here is a pdf version, but it's somewhat garbled where I used PowerPoint animation.
- Invited talk "The next 700 Billion Smart Physical Objects" at SACSIS 2003 (Japanese only), Tokyo, May 2003.
- Location-aware sensing and Computing. Invited survey talk given at the Workshop on the Intersection of Geospatial Information and Information Technology, Computer Science and Telecommunications Board, October 2001.
- Keynote talk at MobiDE 2001, Santa Barbara, on May 20th 2001.
- Pervasive Computing 2001 at NIST on May 1st.
- The keynote talk at HUC2K
- A talk on CoolTown to the Engineering Department, University of Cambridge in September 2000